I used McCalls M4865 as the pattern for the baptismal gown.
In the end I used the whole pieces of lace for the sleeves, and front of the baptismal gown bodice. I kept the back of the bodice plain without lace since there would be buttons and button holes and I would have had to piece the lace on by hand.
You can’t quite see it in this picture, but when I made the bodice, I used a beaded section for the front of the gown. When I was done it looked like a smile in tiny pearls. It made me laugh…totally unintentional but it fits Lily Jane’s temperament perfectly. She is one big smile!
As I was completing the hand stitching on the sleeves, I kept thinking about Miss Lily Jane. She is six months old and quite the little butterball. I prayed the entire time that the sleeve would fit her sweet little sausage arms. I just imagined her Mama trying to put her in the dress the morning of the baptism and the sleeves not fitting. Disaster! I once again invoked St Anne to be beside me on this one.
After I had finished all the hand sewing, I hung up the dress and was shocked to see the bottom edge of lace fraying. AHHH!! I got out my sharpest little scissors and trimmed the entire bottom of the dress. I am happy to say it worked and the edges looked very clean and finished. Thank you Lord!
My first try at hand embroidery in a very long time. It wasn’t perfect but it wasn’t horrid either. If it’s used again there is plenty of room for the next little ones name to be embroidered.
Now for the big finish…
Return to The Catholic Conspiracy